VMware Cloud Community
sadeghalmahdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Iimplementing NAS with Server 2003

Hi

I want implementing a NAS with a File Sharing in Server 2003

means:I want implementing a S with a folder sharing in server 2003 but when I share a folder and

want add the IP address in vSphere I face to the this problem attach in the massege

how i can implimenthion this task

in other hand I check the NFS option in security profile

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From your screen shots it looks like you created a CIFS share rather than an NFS share. You may want to take a look at e.g. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sfu/archive/2007/04/19/set-up-server-for-nfs-in-windows-server-2003-r2.aspx for how to configure NFS on Windows 2003 R2.

André

0 Kudos
sadeghalmahdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tanke for your helping but i want simulation a share storage device. which one of  these solution is the best and give me a best performance?

1- I use a server and share a folder base on NFS and run my VM's

2-I use a server and install Openfiler and run my Vm's

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I didn't do any performance comparisons nor am I aware of anything like this. Maybe other users will share there experiences here.

My personal opinion however is, that all of the possible solutions - whether it is Windows NAS, Openfiler, Starwind, Open-E, ... - when running on the same hardware will perform equally. Maybe one performs better in reading and the other in writing, but I don't think you will really notice the difference during normal operation.

André

0 Kudos
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i would probably opt for openfiler, as this would give you the flexibility of choosing between NFS or iSCSI, i dont think the Windows Server OS can be configured as an iSCSI target, unless you are running Storage Server or perhaps using third party software to do it... As for performance, im afraid i cant comment as i have never compared the two, but i cant see there a dramatic difference either way...

0 Kudos
prasadsv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Were you able to mount NAS share now.IF not, does vmkping to the NAS server succeed?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a short note on Openfiler with iSCSI.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026596

Not sure whether this has been fixed in the meantime!?

André

0 Kudos