VMware Cloud Community
xianmacx
Contributor
Contributor

ISCSI throughput configuration

Hello Everyone,

I am connecting to NetApp storage from my esxi hosts through ISCSI and have some questions about the optimal setup.

I have up to 4 1gb NICS to use for the connectivity and am looking for the best throughput I can achieve.  I am confused what setup would give the best utilization of all the NICS.  Currently I am using 2 nics setup iwth vmk ports and bonded via ISCSI initiator.  The path selection is round robin based on my active/active Storage array.

1.  Are 4 nics bonded via ISCSI initiator going to give better performance or will the host only use some of the nics?  I will have a 1 to 1 ratio of vmk's to physical nics, setup with 1 active and the rest unavailable.

2.  Will creating multiple target ips on the Netapp side give me better performance?  If so, how many should I create?  If not, what is the benefits of having more targets?  Just for redundancy and not performance?

3.  Should I be able to see simultaneous traffic over all the nics that are bonded?  If so, what would be a decent test of that?  Kick of multiple svotiom operations?

Much thanks in advance guys,

Ian

0 Kudos
0 Replies