VMware Cloud Community
jamosj
Contributor
Contributor

ISCSI connections failing !!

HI,

We are trying to connect our three new esx 4.0 servers to our netapp 3020 appliance using iscsi connections but it is failing.

We have created the initators on both sides and we have CHAP turned off on both sides.

The esx software inititor makes a connection as we can see the IQN of the netapp on the esx server , we can't just make it see the data stores.

The server can vmkping and ping the netapp, no problem.

we are using buld number:208167.(update 1) we have tried everything without success.

The strange thing is we have a older esx 4.0 server build: 164009, which is successfully connected to the same netapp appliance + same group as the servers above !

Has the build 208167 got ISCSI issues/bugs ?

Is it worth rebuilding with the build 164009?

Have any of you guys got any ideas what is going wrong or how to diagnose.

We have a SR call in with VMWARE, but they haven't come up with any results yet !

Please help!

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

James

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Before you go backwards on the build, try going forwards... Use Update Manager and apply all the post update 1 patches and updates. That should bring you up to build 244038. I didn't have any issues using the software iSCSI on build 244038 to connect to an Openfiler iSCSI configuration.

I would suggest also looking for updates to the SAN firmware/software to see if IT has issues with update 1 (and beyond) that are resolved with an update. Don't always assume it's an issue with the ESX version..

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Your issue description has the answer to your question...

Initially, I didn't came across any ISCSI bugs or issues....We too carry HP LeftHand...seems to be working fine since update1 is released..

As you say you have already opened an SR with VMware...Please wait for the results. If the results are negative...switch back to older build if the issue persists. And go for vSphere 4.1 which is going to be released soon! but test your setup initially with 4.1 atleast for a month and then go for GA ,this is what we do!

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/rameshgeddam

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
jamosj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Thanks for your inputs.

I am on a secure site (Afghanistan) so the ESX server hasn't got internet access at all !

So I have the update 1a patch on my laptop, ready to patch the sever. Hw do I go updating the server manually, I can't use update manager.

Isn't there a ESXupdate kind of command to do this, I am not sure?

Thanks for all your time.

Jamos j

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe the "Update Manager Download Service" can help?

You can configure this service on a system with internet connection, download the updates, export them to a repository where your vCenter Server has access to and do the updates using VUM.

Take a look at the VMware vCenter Update Manager Administration Guide Chapter 3

If you consider using this service, you may also want to read KB1015663 - Configure Update Manager Download Service to download only ESX 4.x patches

André

0 Kudos