VMware Cloud Community
charlin
Contributor
Contributor

IPv6 support

hi,

If I am building some VM machines (VMs reside on multiple hosts, but all VMs grouped together and working as a full application) and part of the application uses IPv6 addressing, and If I am building them under a vmware infrastructure consisting of vCenter and ESXi hosts, does this infrastructure automatically support IPv6 (i.e, default settings of ESXi 5.0 hosts and vCenter)?     Or are there IPv6 enable/disable settings that need to be turn on in order for the application to work?

Reason I am asking is because:

a)   VMware provides a Linux-based vCenter vApp, but vmware doc states that it currently does not support IPv6.

b)   In vCenter, when I select each host and go into network configuration, I see "enable IPv6" check button.

thank you for your advice

Charles

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
HitechCityHyd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you enabled IPv6 it can be worked....

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Yes the ESXi hosts can support IPv6 - vCenter applicans does not support IPv6 so the vCenter appliance will need to sit on an IPv4 network and you will need to be able to route between the 2 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
charlin
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the quick response.

allow me to summarize my understanding (let me know if I misunderstood).

In order for my application (which reside across multiple VMs and spanning multiple ESXi 5 hosts) to communicate between each others and with some other applications using IPv6 addressing:

1.   doesn't matter if I use vApp vCenter or Win-based vCenter, because the 'IPv6 support' feature described under vCenter product only means whether or not you can configure your vCenter with IPv6.    Even if you cannot configure your vCenter with IPv6 address, the hosts and VMs that are being managed by this vCenter can still use IPv6, provided #2 (below) is configured.

2.   Each ESXi host must have its network (vSwitch properties) configured to 'enable IPv6 support on this host system', in order for all the VMs (that are residing on this host) to be able to use IPv6 addressing.

Is the above summary correct?

thank you

Charles

0 Kudos
raj196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi weinstein5,  still need routing ? If we will use ip 4 in both  ESXi hosts and vCenter applicans .

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
0 Kudos