VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IPv6 enabled on hypervisor, yet no IPv6 at our company? Any issues?

I know by default IPv6 is enabled on the hypervisor, and we have been running like this for years, but we do not use IPv6 at our company. Is there really any pressing need to disable it?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There are no issues -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

https://communities.vmware.com/message/1894943#1894943

Might be an issue, have seen that happening.

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you have seen that eveusing the host just has that icmp generated ipv6?

0 Kudos
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are not using IPv6.0 disable it, if you enable IPv6.0 issues might come for DNS resolution, we had issue with Windows server domain login "Unable to establish trust relationship" error, resolved this issue with disabling IPv6.0 in registry and applying MS patch, might be ESX/ESXi also have issues if enable IPv6.0, best practice is to disable IPv6.0 and hardening ESX hosts.

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree with what the others have said. If you're still completely oblivious to IPv6 on your networks and have no intention to manage or intentionally use it whatsoever, disable it if you can. Everywhere. Whether it's the hypervisors, VMs, physical servers, appliances, switches/routers or an IPv6-ready espresso machine.

Having said that said, the future is now (it's actually been sitting here since 15 years already), so get started on your IPv6 projects already.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just remember that disabling IPV6 requires a reboot.  If you defer the reboot, the next time you restart the mgmt agents all your VMs will be powered down hard.

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea I am aware of that "feature" Smiley Happy

0 Kudos