VMware Cloud Community
13lackHawk
Contributor
Contributor

IPCop on VMware ESXi

Ok I want to install IPCop but the problem is VMware only detects my onboard network card and not my PCIe gigabit card. Can the VM be tricked into working with two virtual networks? If so, how would I go about doing this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You would need to have two network cards to create an internal lan and external network with ipcop connecting the two.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

You could put both virtual NICs on the same vswitch.  You could still get NAT to work, but you potentially lose much of the security of IPCop since there is no isolation of the green and red NICs.  In a physical install of IPCop, it would be like plugging in both the green and red NICs to the same switch, then plugging in all your computers and the DSL/cable modem to that same switch.  IPCop wouldn't care that both NICs are plugged in to the same switch, so long as the computers can see the green NIC on one subnet and the red NIC can see the DSL/cable modem on another subnet.  It may be fine for testing and training, but for a production environment or any "real use", it would be best to get a second NIC for the ESX host.  Check the compatibility list or vm-help for compatible NICs.

0 Kudos