VMware Cloud Community
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IP was not captured

Hi

we are running ESXi two node cluster with dV switch configured.we had issue with network cable on one of the ESXi host.vCenter VM is running in that host.Due to network problem we can't do hot migration ,so decided for cold migration for vCenter VM.we have shut down vCenter VM and logged to esxi host with root and added vCenter to inventory and and powered on.After power on vCenter VM was not capturing IP and not pingable.

I want to know why its was not capturing IP when it was disconnected from one host and connected in other host (within cluster) .

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I mean i have shut down vCenter VM from one host and logged into other host then browse data store (all are shared storages) added that VM .vmx to the host inventory(add to inventory) .After when i power on the VM in summary IP of the VM is not coming and not able to ping .when i login with local admin credentials IP configurations and IP was there .But right side of VM network icon was showing disconnected from network card(no network connected) 

when i checked from host VM edit settings Network was connected.when i remove nic card and re-assign nic card and rebooted.then IP was showing and able to ping.

I have added .VMX file to host enventory.because of this Network disconnected ? or this might be reason for not getting IP ?just want to know

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
prabuvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM is configured with static IP or DHCP?

If DHCP, try renewing the IP....

0 Kudos
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ITS STATIC IP OBVIOUSLY

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't think its obvious and prabuvmware's question is relevant.

What do you mean by "Capture IP"?

Is the new host connected to the same network and does the Virtual Switch have the same name as the previous host?

Could you describe the virtual switch configuration, port group configuration and your ip-adressing?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Its distributed switch both hosts are in same network

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What do you mean by "Capture IP"?

Could you describe the virtual switch configuration, port group configuration and your ip-adressing?

What port-binding are you using? Static, dynamic or Ephemeral?

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
iamphane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I mean i have shut down vCenter VM from one host and logged into other host then browse data store (all are shared storages) added that VM .vmx to the host inventory(add to inventory) .After when i power on the VM in summary IP of the VM is not coming and not able to ping .when i login with local admin credentials IP configurations and IP was there .But right side of VM network icon was showing disconnected from network card(no network connected) 

when i checked from host VM edit settings Network was connected.when i remove nic card and re-assign nic card and rebooted.then IP was showing and able to ping.

I have added .VMX file to host enventory.because of this Network disconnected ? or this might be reason for not getting IP ?just want to know

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

iamphane, its hard to help when you are ignoring simple requests for information that is vital to assist on the issue.

I am guessing its related to your port binding but impossible to say without the requested information.

// Linjo

0 Kudos