VMware Cloud Community
morganyang1982
Contributor
Contributor

IP in IP tunnel performance degredation on guest OS running on VMware ESXi 5

I am migrating an application that forwards packets from one IP in IP (ipv4) tunnel to another tunnel.

Running on a standard x86 server, we were able to achieve steady 300Mbps performance.

However, running the exact setup as a guest OS, the performance is now down to 30Mbps (90% decrease)

I have checked the following:

1. Running the latest NIC driver VMXNET3

2. Installing VMware guest tools.

Has anyone encountered similar issues? Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
morganyang1982
Contributor
Contributor

I think similar performance issues would be encountered if I use any tunnel based application, such as Strongswan for VPN.

0 Kudos
Lax617
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried using another virtual NIC such as the E1000? I have experienced similar problems with the vmxnet3 adapter with certain operating systems and applications. 

morganyang1982
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, E1000 is a bit better than VMNET3 but our actual physical link is 10 G :-(. Out of curiousity, what's the difference between VMNET2enhanced and VNNET3?

Morgan

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Does the physical and virual machine have the same number of cores and memory available?

Is it the same OS?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
morganyang1982
Contributor
Contributor

I assigned 4 cores and 4GB to each VM. I've ran a comparison test on an older x86 dell rackmount with and older dual core Xeon and 4GB, the IP-IP tunnel performance over ESXi is still very poor. Typical tunnel degradation varies from 10~~20% (depends on tunnel application), but on VM's its almost 90%.

0 Kudos