VMware Cloud Community
kaylingovenderp
Contributor
Contributor

IP address and DNS name keeps on disappearing under the vm summary tab

Mulitiple VMs not showing ip address and dns name under summary tab but it is not happening to all VMs.

When the ip address and dns name is not shown we are able to RDP to vm and there is no connectivity.

The only time the ip address and dns name is shown is when i lauch a web console session from Vcentre and login then only the ip address and dns name becomes visible.

Hosts: ESXi 6.7.0 19898906 running on Dell PowerEdge R740xd

vCentre: 6.7.0, vmware tools 12288(version 14)

VMs effected Windows 2012 and 2016 datacentre

Troubleshooting (things that didn't work):

1. rebooted guest

2. uninstalled vmware-tools, re-installed vmware-tools

3. removed/re-added VM from host inventory.

4. restarted services.sh on host

5. from KB 1013371, added isolation.tools.setinfo.disable configuration option and set it to false. But since the parameter wasn't there in the 1st place, I don't think it had any effect.

Thanks

Kaylin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Hi,

From the screenshot, I noticed that vmware tools is not running , CPU usage is 0. At the time of issue, is the VM is even running ? It looks like guest OS is frozen for me. Have you tried to login to VM from the console at the time of the issue ? 

Is this issue happening on VMs from one particular ESXi node or its on VMs from many nodes ? 

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
kaylingovenderp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Suresh yes the vm is running the only time the information is populated is when i login via the console onto the vm, the first thing i check is the vmware tools and it is running.

when the vm looses that infomation i am unable to ping the vm from outside or within the network. It is spread across all the nodes but it is only effecting between 10 - 15 vms

Regards

Kaylin

0 Kudos
Atif_YNI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever figure this out? I am seeing the exact same thing.

0 Kudos