VMware Cloud Community
rbmadison
Contributor
Contributor

IP Strangeness

I just noticed some strangeness with a new 4.1 cluster I just built. I setup each of the hosts with a static IP of 172.17.100.10 increasing each IP respectively per host.

An example IP configuration of a host would then be:

IP 172.17.100.10

MASK 255.255.255.0

GW: 172.17.100.1

Now I setup a separate VMotion VMKernel Port with an IP of 172.17.200.10 increasing each respectively per host. After doing that when I go into the console I see the IP configuration of each host looks like this:

IP 172.17.200.10

MASK 255.255.255.0

GW 172.17.100.10

This is on all the hosts and I can't believe that I fat fingered the IP or gateway wrong on 7 servers. Is this something ESXi is doing in regards to VMotion traffic? If I check the mangement IP in the VIP it still says it's 172.17.100.10 but the console on the host has it now at 172.17.200.10.

Am I losing my mind? It's been a rough couple weeks.

Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong. The VMKernel can only have a single gateway by default, and this is usually used for the Management network. Since the vMotion network should be a non-routed subnet, the gateway address doesn't matter at all.

André

rbmadison
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. Do you see the IP of the host change to the VMotion IP in the console also? I am not overly concerned but I'd like to know if this is a normal effect of adding a dedicated VMotion network.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you see the IP of the host change to the VMotion IP in the console also?

Sorry, I can't follow you. Can you please clarify?

André

0 Kudos
rbmadison
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about that. Does your console IP for the host match the IP of the VMotion kernel IP if you have separated the VMotion traffic from the management traffic? I am just wondering if others see the console IP strangeness. The thing that concerns me is that the console IP for the host is incorrect, it's showing the VMotion IP as the host's IP. This sounds like a bug with the ESXi console display the wrong IP for the host. It should display the management IP, not the VMotion IP in the ESXi console.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Kind of confusing, isn't it Smiley Wink Please check whether the port groups have the correct checkbox enabled (Management vs. vMotion).

Maybe a screen shot can help.

André

0 Kudos