VMware Cloud Community
jgover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IP Range Expansion but only SUBNET Mask is changing

Hi,

Subnet mask change

My question is similar to above thread but I do not have to change any IP addresses or gateways only the subnet mask on static VM servers, vCenter and ESXi Hosts.

I am going from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.252.0.

Is it required that reboot my ESXi 5.1 Hosts after making the subnet mask change?

Am I missing anything that someone may have experienced or something that I don't have to do?

1. Shutdown all VM that obtain their IP address through the affected DHCP.
  2. Modify subnet mask on all non- VMware management Static Server VMs (eg: Business Suite servers like mail, accounting servers and the like) and shut them down.
  3. Modify the Standard Switch environment (moving to vDS is another project) networks including the "Management Network" subnet mask. (else should I change through DCUI?)
  4. Change the vCenter Appliance subnet mast and reboot.
  5. Power up DHCP and Static VMs

Thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pterlisten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jeff,

a reboot shouldn't be necessary. Simply change the subnet mask using the C# client, the Web Client or the DCUI. It's possible to use a PowerCLI script to do the change. The same applies for the VCSA. I don't think that a reboot is necessary.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pterlisten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jeff,

a reboot shouldn't be necessary. Simply change the subnet mask using the C# client, the Web Client or the DCUI. It's possible to use a PowerCLI script to do the change. The same applies for the VCSA. I don't think that a reboot is necessary.