VMware Cloud Community
Tachra
Contributor
Contributor

IP Conflict

Hello,

we have got a problem there!

some of our VMs which are runing windows server 2003 show ipconflict some times Smiley Sad

how can we solve this issue?

more info :

Host Node has a vLan on datacenter network Smiley Happy

so All IPS are in same rangeSmiley Happy

all VM s are on single vSwitch and again all ips are on same IP RANGE

i searched google and saw that there is a KB at vmwae for this but i really did not get which part is for my problem?

the mentioned KB is :

kb.vmware.com/kb/1008177

any one has a resolution for this?!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

How are you assigning your IP Address - hard coded or via DHCP?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This is a simple network question and not related to VMware. You have assigned the same IP address to multiple machnes. It can happen when copying a VM with a fixed address. It is possible when a DHCP address range over laps a fixed address. Use a network scanner to identify IP ownership. Check DHCP leases. ????

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For the IP conflicts you should find an entry in the Windows event logs. This entry should show the MAC address of the conflicting system. Maybe this can give you a hint on what to look for.

André

Tachra
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

i assign IP addresses directly to each VM not via DHCP!

i simply log into each vm and enter IP info!

0 Kudos
Tachra
Contributor
Contributor

yeah that solved my issuei tracked that MAC adress down and solved this problem

0 Kudos
RaymondG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would try checking the event viewer as well for the Mac of the server that it is conflicting with...this will let you know if it is conflicting with a vm or physical server.   Also, try disabling the VM in questions and see if you can still ping the IP after a few minutes or so.  If you can....you just need to find that host.  If you cant then the issue could be a VIP.  A lost of load balancers wont allow you to ping the vips, but these virtual ips will still cause a conflict if reused elsewhere. 

-I've never had an instance where a duplicate IP message was incorrect....If you have load balancers and know you didnt give two servers the same ip, I would lean towards a Vip being the issue.

Raymond Golden VCP3, VCP4, MCSA, A+, Net+, SEC+
0 Kudos