VMware Cloud Community
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

IBM x3850X5 and ESXi 5 corrupt VMs when cloning or svmotion

Thought a reword on this discussion might help?!?

I have 4 x3850X5s with 4 10core processors and 320gb ram, with ESXi 5 installed on two mirrored local hard drives.

I can create VMs no problem, but if I clone or storage vMotion them, they corrupt so that windows blue screens and fails to boot.

Completely out of options of how to proceed, could really do with some help!

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Did you try to clone and svmotion the VM in powered OFF. and Is the results are same as blue screen or only if you clone and svmtion the VM in powered ON state you get a blue screen..

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Storage vMotion and Cloning work successfully when the VMs are powered off in all but a couple of cases. Two of my Win2k8R2 machines cloned then after appearing stable for an hour or so, developed the same issue - blue screen and then won't boot.

I would normally clone when powered off as a best practice, but storage vMotions beauty is that you can do it hot. I installed and maintained a large number of VMware environments and this is the first time I have come across these issues. That said, I have never used these x3850 with the large number of cores or RAM.

I have seen a couple of whitepapers relating to  installing ESXi 4.1 on the x3850s needing a NUMA switch at boot time, but that is missing in the options on ESXi5.

I can work around with the powered off moves and clones but I would like to know what may cause the issues I'm having if you can offer some more advice?

Thanks again for your help and reply.

0 Kudos