VMware Cloud Community
DaveKelley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IBM Memory Key Rebuild

I have IBM xSeries hosts running with IBM Memory keys loaded with ESXi 4.1. I'm curious if anyone has rebuilt these keys with ESXi 5 or 5.1. I would prefer to save the $75 per key if the keys technical specifications are the same.

Thank You,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You're fine to reload them with whatever you want.  No need to order new ones.

The ones that come pre-loaded are merely for convenience.  You can order blank ones now, for same price, which is what I usually recommend to our customers.  I've found that more often than not, by the time the customer gets them, they are wanting to load a newer version onto it than what's currently on it.

It's also not a bad idea to have a few spare laying around, too, for quick replacements in case of failures.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've never personally done this with the IBM keys, but as far as I know they are all 2GB. You should be able to upgrade them with the IBM customized images without issue.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You're fine to reload them with whatever you want.  No need to order new ones.

The ones that come pre-loaded are merely for convenience.  You can order blank ones now, for same price, which is what I usually recommend to our customers.  I've found that more often than not, by the time the customer gets them, they are wanting to load a newer version onto it than what's currently on it.

It's also not a bad idea to have a few spare laying around, too, for quick replacements in case of failures.

0 Kudos