VMware Cloud Community
PeterKafkas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to download the license for Vcenter 5.5

Hello:

We have recently purchased a new ESXi Host (HP DL380 Gen9) and this host will work with Version 5.5 update 2.  I was asked my our VMware consultant to logon to our VMware account and obtain the the license for Vcenter 5.5.  I can logon to the account; but, how to do get the license for Vcenter 5.5?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Then the "vCenter Server 5 Essentials" license should be sufficient. You should be able to download vCenter 5.5 from here (but be sure to take the correct Update level: 5.5, 5.5 U1 or 5.5 U2): VMware vSphere 5: Private Cloud Computing, Server and Data Center Virtualization

And you should think of upgrading the 5.1 hosts after vCenter appliance is installed and configured.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The question is: Do you have any paid license for vSphere (Essentials (Plus) or Enterprise for example)? If you run the free ESXi license you don't have a any license key for vCenter as this is only included in a pöaid license.

0 Kudos
PeterKafkas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello we currently have:

ProductType
vSphere Storage Appliance 5ORDER
vSphere Storage Appliance 5CONTRACT
vCenter Server 5 EssentialsORDER
vCenter Server 5 EssentialsCONTRACT
vSphere 5 Essentials PlusORDER
vSphere 5 Essentials PlusCONTRACT

And license keys as well. Currently we have VMware version 5.1. Update 1, installed on all ESXi hosts.  But the consultant asked for license keys for Vcenter 5.5. 

I am not sure how to obtain those.  I am not sure where to begin with that.

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Then the "vCenter Server 5 Essentials" license should be sufficient. You should be able to download vCenter 5.5 from here (but be sure to take the correct Update level: 5.5, 5.5 U1 or 5.5 U2): VMware vSphere 5: Private Cloud Computing, Server and Data Center Virtualization

And you should think of upgrading the 5.1 hosts after vCenter appliance is installed and configured.

0 Kudos
PeterKafkas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Request # 15671929405 

We are glad to confirm that, an upgrade from vCenter Server 5.1 to vCenter Server 5.5 is considered a minor upgrade and hence no separate license key is required. The existing vCenter Server 5 license key can be used to license vCenter Server 5.5.

You may follow the below link for a better understanding on licensing vCenter Server 5.x :

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2014295

Also for a better understanding on upgrading license keys in the My VMware Portal, the below link can be followed :

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006974

0 Kudos