VMware Cloud Community
ripplecm
Contributor
Contributor

I rebooted my PC running vmware vsphere client and now I can't connect

After rebooting my PC, I try to connect to the IP address fro my Vsphere client and it says could not connect. I can ping all of the virutal servers successfully so I know they are all up and running. I just can't access my vsphere server. Anyone know what's going on, and how to fix this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

do you get any error messages or warnings when you try to connect the to ESXi host? Do you use the ESXi host's IP address or it's DNS name? In case of the DNS name, please ensure that the name resolves properly to the correct IP address.

André

PS: Discussion moved from Forum to VMware ESXi 5

0 Kudos
ripplecm
Contributor
Contributor

I don't get any specific errors. It just states that the connection could not be established. I am entering the host's IP address. When I ping the Host IP address, I get could not resolve.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> When I ping the Host IP address, I get could not resolve.

Is "could not resolve" the exact message you get?

Are you able to ping the ESXi host from another system?

Does the host use an IP address in the same subnet as the virtual machines, which you are able to ping?

André

0 Kudos
ripplecm
Contributor
Contributor

I get request timed out and packets sent=4, recieved=0. I can use windows remote desktop to connect to the servers, but cannot connect to the vsphere client.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'd suggest you go to the ESXi host, login to its console (DCUI) and run "Test Management Network" from the menu. If you are able to ping other systems it's most likely an issue with your PC. Maybe clearing some of the network caches can help (e.g. ipconfig /flushdns and nbtstat -RR)

André

0 Kudos
ripplecm
Contributor
Contributor

I logged into the "Test Management Network" and it gave the OK message when I pinged the systems. However it said failed to resolve hostname: ESXI1

0 Kudos
swatsson
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean by "vsphere server"? Are you trying to connect to an ESXi or a vCenter Server? You also mention that you can connect to the server using Remote Desktop. So I'm assuming that you are trying to connect to a vCenter server that is installed on a Windows PC.

Since RDP works, the network should be fine. Please ensure that vCenter services are running properly. Go to the services page (Run command -> "services.msc"), and check the status of the service "VMware Virtual Center Server" . It should ideally be started and set to automatic.

0 Kudos
ripplecm
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to connect to a ESXi Server. All of hte VCenter services are set to automatic and are running. When I do "Test Management Network" it reads failed to resolve hostname: ESXi1

0 Kudos