VMware Cloud Community
gblack2171
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm new to VMware and need help.

I am new to VMWare and just installed ESXi 6.0 created a host but now I can't install Windows 2012 r2. Can't access the ISO. Do I need the client integration plug in or what. I called tech support and they would not help because I am on the trial version. Any help would be great. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you select the ISO in the VM's settings, and enable "Connect at Power On"? Alternatively you may connect the ISO in the current (powered on) state, and then press CTRL-ALT-INS to "warm" boot the VM.

André

PS: If this still doesn't work, please double-check that you have a bootable ISO image, e.g. not just a Service Pack image.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the most reliable (and usually fastest) way to install guest operating systems from ISO images is to create a folder on one of your datastores (using the Datastore Browser) and upload the ISO image. Then select the ISO image from the datastore in the VM's CD/DVD-ROM settings.

André

0 Kudos
gblack2171
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks but where do I get the data store browser? I do not have any plugins installed which I think is my main issue.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To open the Datastore Browser, simply right click a datastore in the vSphere Client and select "Browse Datastore". No plugins required.

André

0 Kudos
gblack2171
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks I have it copying now. After it completes I should be able to load the OS from that ISO right?

0 Kudos
gblack2171
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It still will not see the ISO. It looks like the host is just trying to boot from the NIC for some reason.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you select the ISO in the VM's settings, and enable "Connect at Power On"? Alternatively you may connect the ISO in the current (powered on) state, and then press CTRL-ALT-INS to "warm" boot the VM.

André

PS: If this still doesn't work, please double-check that you have a bootable ISO image, e.g. not just a Service Pack image.

0 Kudos
gblack2171
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got it. Thanks for your help and clear directions.

0 Kudos