VMware Cloud Community
dangingerich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a VM that is residing on two datastores, and I need to move it

OK, I'm attempting to reconfigure the storage on a software development ESXi cluster, and I have come across a VM that is residing on two datastores.  Somehow, the user configured this thing to have most of the VM files on datastore 5 while all the VMDKs but the boot drive reside on datastore 1.  He probably did this because of the size of the old datastores and the numerous old VMs that his coworkers left sitting.  Well, now I have come to reconfigure the datastores so that there is more usable space, but I can't move this one VM so that I can reconfigure the rest of the storage.  (For reference, the old datastores were set up in 4 sets of three drives in RAID 3 and one set of four drives in RAID 3 with two hot spares.  For the record: Not my idea.  I am reconfiguring them now to be a set of 15 drives in RAID 6, divided into two LUNs across the two controllers, with one hot spare.)

Well, now I need to figure out how to get this VM moved over to one of the new datastores.  The Migrate datastore function doesn't work.  Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiToby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Dangingerich,

You can move the VMDKs individually with the Advanced Feature of Storage vMotion this will allow you to place the data drive on your new storage and then have the OS drive follow.

Youtube Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhdmdcMmvas

Screen shots

ESXi_5_5_Advanced_Storage_vMotion_of_just_one_virtual_drive_s_data_-_YouTube 2.png

When you are svMotioning click the Advanced Button

ESXi_5_5_Advanced_Storage_vMotion_of_just_one_virtual_drive_s_data_-_YouTube 3.png

You here you can select the individual VMDKs and move them around.

All the content comes the youtube video by Paul Braren, I only annotated his work.

Have fun

@iiToby

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
iiToby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Dangingerich,

You can move the VMDKs individually with the Advanced Feature of Storage vMotion this will allow you to place the data drive on your new storage and then have the OS drive follow.

Youtube Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhdmdcMmvas

Screen shots

ESXi_5_5_Advanced_Storage_vMotion_of_just_one_virtual_drive_s_data_-_YouTube 2.png

When you are svMotioning click the Advanced Button

ESXi_5_5_Advanced_Storage_vMotion_of_just_one_virtual_drive_s_data_-_YouTube 3.png

You here you can select the individual VMDKs and move them around.

All the content comes the youtube video by Paul Braren, I only annotated his work.

Have fun

@iiToby

0 Kudos
MBrownWFP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you say the VM is residing on two datastores, do you mean it has Virtual Disks on different datastores? If so, you can migrate the disks individually by launching an SvMotion then clicking the Advanced button in the datastore selection screen. This will change the view so you can select a destination datastore for each disk.

0 Kudos
dangingerich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I never even noticed that "Advanced" button down there.  It worked perfectly.  Thanks. 

0 Kudos
dangingerich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I spoke too soon.  It nearly finished, then came back with the wonderful error "A specified parameter was not correct" and nothing changed.  (I'm having this trouble with two other VMs, also the last ones on their datastores.)  I know how to fix this in most cases.  A simple "remove from inventory" and then browse the datastore to re-add it to the inventory usually fixes this.  With this one, I don't know, since it might not find the VMDKs that are on the other datastore.  I'm attempting to move the VMDKs over to the same datastore as the config files, but the VM was renamed, so they won't be going into the same folders.  

0 Kudos
bheemeswararao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

very simple, migrate VM and select datastore where you have enough space. not a big deal.

0 Kudos
dangingerich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

bheemeswararao wrote:

very simple, migrate VM and select datastore where you have enough space. not a big deal.

That is quite simply the most unhelpful response I have seen.  If it were that simple, I wouldn't have posted anything here. 

0 Kudos
dangingerich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, I finally got it to migrate.  I had to do it one component at a time through the advanced migration options. 

0 Kudos
bheemeswararao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You got it Smiley Happy cool.

0 Kudos