VMware Cloud Community
NTexasIT
Contributor
Contributor

I have a ESXi VM but do not know the password to the system. I also do not know the password for the VSphere Client. The IT person who used to be here is deceased. We are moving buildings. What can I do?

We are moving the network to a new building.  I have no way of getting the password for the ESXi machine or the VSphere Client.  (I can't even figure out if we do have support because I do not have access to that documentation.)  Am I able to shut down the machines in the server room, move them over to the new facility, fire them up, and expect to work?  Just like everything else I believe you have to log in to the machine for it to work.  What are my options?  I am new to the ESXi system.  I don't have the passwords and need to move this network.  Please help ASAP!

6 Replies
bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Pls let me know  which ESXi version you are using..

Pls find below method method for ESX3.x AND 4.x

ESXi 3.5, ESXi 4.x, and ESXi 5.x

Reinstalling the ESXi host is the only supported way to reset a password on ESXi.  Any other method may lead to a host failure or an unsupported configuration due to the complex nature of the ESXi architecture. ESXi does not have a service console and as such traditional Linux methods of resetting a password, such as single-user mode do not apply. 

ESX 3.x and 4.x

Note: This section does not apply to ESXi. See the ESXi section of this article.

To change the password for the root user on an ESX 3.x or ESX 4.x host, you must reboot into single-user mode. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Reboot the ESX host.

2. When the GRUB screen appears, press the space bar to stop the server from automatically booting into VMware ESX.

3. Use the arrow keys to select Service Console only (troubleshooting mode).

4. Press the a key to modify the kernel arguments (boot options).

5. On the line presented, type a space followed by the word single .

6. Press Enter. The server continues to boot into single-user mode.

7. When presented with a bash prompt such as sh-2.05b#, type the command passwd and press Enter.

8. Follow the prompts to set a new root user password. For more information, see Changing an ESX host root password (1004659).

9. When the password is changed successfully, reboot the host using the command reboot and allow VMware ESX to boot normally.

Regards,

Sachin Bhardwaj

GaneshNetworks

It's worth to read this blog for your case: https://www.bock.nu/blog/reset-root-password-vmware-esxi-4.1

~GaneshNetworks~

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
NTexasIT
Contributor
Contributor

I stated that I have an ESXi but you gave me instructions on an ESX system and told me it does not apply to ESXi. Its an ESXi 4.1.0 system.  I'm concerned about losing any data and also downtime.  I dont want to shut it down and never be able to get into the system again.  It is running my virtual servers for my network.  Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To determine possible options please answer the following questions if possible:

• Is this a stand alone ESXi host running with the free Hypervisor license, i.e. not connected to vCenter Server?
  • Was the host initially installed with ESXi 4.1, or has it been upgraded from a previous version (e.g. ESXi 3.5)?
  • Is ESXi installed on an SD/USB device or on the HDD?
  • What hardware do you use? If the hardware is supported for ESXi 5.x, re-installing the host (preserving the VMs) might be an option in this case.

In any case ensure that you have an up-to-date backup of the VM's!

André

0 Kudos
NTexasIT
Contributor
Contributor

Is this a stand alone ESXi host running with the free Hypervisor license, i.e. not connected to vCenter Server?

No it is connected to vCenter Server and I also do not know the password to the VSphereConsole.

Was the host initially installed with ESXi 4.1, or has it been upgraded from a previous version (e.g. ESXi 3.5)?

I do not know, I have no previous history in this company, have no documentation, and only know what I have discovered myself.

Is ESXi installed on an SD/USB device or on the HDD?

It is installed on the HDD, a dell Optiplex 2950.

What hardware do you use? If the hardware is supported for ESXi 5.x, re-installing the host (preserving the VMs) might be an option in this case

How woul dI reinstall the host?  I don't know any passwords.  Would I try to boot it to a CD with the software.

In any case ensure that you have an up-to-date backup of the VM's!?

I would like to Image this machine, but dont know if I can if I dont know the passwords.  I heard VSphere console has an option

for remote image, but again, I have no passwords.  I am sure we have support contract through VMWare but they cannot look it up by company name.

Thank you for all your help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With vCenter Server 4.1 in place you should be able to login to vCenter Server (using the vSphere Client) using an account with administrative permissions, i.e. a Domain Admin or a user who is a member of the vCenter Server's local "Administrators" group. If you can do this, the next step is to create a global group in your domain with the name "ESX Admins" and add your user account to this group. After this, configure Active Directory authentication for the ESXi host using the vSphere Client while connected to the vCenter Server (select the ESXi host in the inventory, click the Configuration tab and select "Authentication Services" from the Software pane). Once done you should now be able to use the vSphere Client to connect directly to the ESXi host using your domain account, which allows you to change the root password from the "Local Users & Groups" tab.

André

0 Kudos