Contributor

I forget my VMware ESXi root password how to reset my password

I forget my VMware ESXi root password how to reset my password

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It depends. If it's a standalone ESXi host, you'll need to reinstall ESXi (with preserving the VMFS datastore of course). In case of an ESXi host that's managed by vCenter Server, this issue can be solved by adding the ESXi host to the AD domain, and then connecting to the ESXi host directly with a user who is member of the "ESX Admins" AD group.

André

0 Kudos
SAADABBASI
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for quick response.
I have standalone host and I forget root password. can you share steps to how to take machines backup then I will reinstall.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How do you backup your VMs today? Some options are to export the VM's using the OVF format, using e.g. VM Explorer - Free, ...

Although a backup is highly recommended, reinstalling the host shouldn't harm the VMs. The installation should detect the VMFS datastore(s) and present a selection from which you will choose "Install ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore". Once reinstalled, you need to configure the ESXi host's settings (e.g. networking, time server, ...) and then add the VM's back to the inventory, by right clicking each VM's .vmx file in the Datasore Browser.

https___communities.vmware.com_servlet_JiveServlet_showImage_2-2310206-33008_Screen%2BShot%2B2013-11-09%2Bat%2B11.08.59.png

André

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

IIRC, esxi-partitions are of fat16 (or fat32?) types, so you can boot any linux live-cd, mount esxi-partition (there are many, so pick the right one!), and remove password-hash for root from /etc/shadow by any text-editor (vi, nano, etc.). But the only VMware-recommended way is to re-install ESXi...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

Hello, it is worth download vCSA trial version, add the host to vcenter and then use host profile to reset your profile. Lost Your ESXi Root Password? Reset It with Host Profiles!

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

you're basically correct, and this is a valid option with Enterprise Plus licenses, but think about it. Which user/password is required to add the host to vCenter Server? Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

a.p. Thank you for catching that...basically shot myself in the foot.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos