VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'd appreciate some design idea/assistance

Thank you for taking the time to read this.. We are currently at 5.5U3 and are about to begin migrating to 6.5.2 (with Enhanced Linked Mode/ELM).

I realize I need to make some decisions we'll have to live with for a while. Want to make sure I get 'em right the 1st time.

We have 3 sites - KOM, KPD and WPD. At the moment each site has it's own 5.5 vcenter.

KOM site houses one vcenter with one cluster with VMs relating to government services. I will use gov AD for authentication.

WPD site houses one vcenter with one cluster with VMs relating to police. I will use pd AD for authentication.

KPD site houses one vcenter with two clusters with VMs relating to government services and police. I hope I can use gov and police AD for authentication.

As I see it, KOM and WPD will have their own one cluster ELM. KPD will have a two cluster ELM. Now we're getting into the fuzzy area (at least for me).

I have a wish list. I'm not sure if it's possible as the concept of domains and sites still confuses me a little.

I'd like to link KOM to government cluster at KPD and be able to failover either way. Same desire for WPD and police cluster at KPD.

I know there's likely several ways to do this. If you guys/gals can give some ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As the common meme statement goes: One Does Not Simply Failover a Datacenter.

Sounds like you realize the challenge level. Given this is outside your comfort zone, I would recommend looking at vSphere Site Recovery Manager. Another option is leveraging replication functionality in 3rd party software like Veeam. Hopefully that helps.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I suggest you re-reading my post. No where did I say a single thing about DR. We have Zerto

for that. I want a logical layout and reliability for my vcenters. I think the people not over their

heads call it VCHA.

Bill

0 Kudos