VMware Cloud Community
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can't remove a dead datastore

Hey all, I had a datastore issue so I built a quick temporary 2012R2 server and put in some iSCSI storage (I'm trying to get more budget $$$ for a real second datastore). My issue was fixed but my temp server died on me. Now I have a dead datastore in my Datacenter that I can't delete. When I try to delete it out of vCenter 6 I get the following error:

[Code]The "Remove datastore" operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

An error occurred during host configuration.

Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to query live VMFS state of volume.: No such file or directory[/Code]

One suggestion through Google was to remove the datastore using the vSphere Client. Nope, that gives me a similar error message:

[Code]

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.RemoveDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "192.168.2.121" failed.

Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to query live VMFS state of volume.: No such file or directory[/Code]

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove this device from my system?

Thanks,

Joe B

4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Show no mercy
1. partedUtil delete partition
2. - rescan datastores
3. remove all hints to device from file /etc/vmware/esx.conf
4. reboot
5. dd if´=/dev/zero bs=1M count=2000 /dev/disks/<device>

Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Joe,

Do you have the datastore in the part of the HA datastore heartbeat or configured with SIOC?If yes then try to datastore heartbeat or stop SIOC service and try to remove the data store from hard client?

SIOC :

1./etc/init.d/storagerm stop

2.esxcli storage core adapter rescan

3./etc/init.d/storagerm start

or

VMware KB: Unmounting a LUN or detaching a datastore/storage device from multiple VMware ESXi 5.x/6....

or

Try to troubleshoot with Ulli's solution.

- Dee K

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Um, I came in today, looked at this thread and then went to my vCenter server to see about getting rid of that dead datastore and it's no longer there. I didn't to anything more to it so maybe it just decomposed and is gone. Weird.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos