VMware Cloud Community
jokland
Contributor
Contributor

I can't interact with the esxi 6.5 console for restart hostd service

Hello

We have two esxi 6.5 hosts and a vcenter connected to an iSCSI SAN. Yesterday at night I noticed that the vcenter don't detects the two hosts. The hosts, ant the virtual machines, appear as "Disconnected" from the vcenter, althoug all the virtual machines are runing without problems.

On the two servers console there are messages as follow:

2017-05-16T06:50:01.687Z cpu16:1690736)ALERT: hostd detected to be non-responsible

As I read on forums, maybe a issue with the SAN network. I unplugged a suspicious switch.

I read too that for resolve the "hostd detected to be non-responsible" problem I need to restart the hostd and vpxa services:

/etc/init.d/hostd restart

/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

But I can't authenticate on the server console. I typed the root password but the  login prompt becomes non-responsibe, and now I can't cancel the login prompt. I can't access with ssh because I have ssh disabled on both hosts. I can't interact with the hosts.

How can I force the execution of the restart sevices commands avoiding the full cluster shutdown??

Thank you for advance.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you cant try with powercli. if it doesnt work only remaining option is reboot

PowerCLI command to restart management agents on an ESXi 5.1 host

0 Kudos
jokland
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks yezdi.

No luck

Restart-VMHostService : 16/05/2017 11:15:14     Restart-VMHostService           Unable to communicate with the remote host, since

it is disconnected.

En línea: 3 Carácter: 1

+ Restart-VMHostService -Confirm:$false

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Restart-VMHostService], HostNotConnected

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_SystemManagementServiceImpl_SetVMHostService_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCor

e.Cmdlets.Commands.RestartVMHostService

No other options?

Thanks

0 Kudos
rmigliore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you KVM directly to the host and reboot?

0 Kudos
jokland
Contributor
Contributor

No... The login prompt of booth servers are stucked.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
rmigliore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you SSH to the hosts?

0 Kudos
jokland
Contributor
Contributor

No, I have the ssh disabled (I am considering aneble it after this issue)

0 Kudos
rmigliore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Option 1. Get support on the line.

Option 2. Reboot the host's one at a time. Hopefully, you don't have too many VM's running on the hosts.

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

((( Try VMware PowerCLI to the Rescue )))

* This is done with the Connect-VIServer CmdLet:

Connect-VIServer –Server yourhost.yourdomain.com

* Start a Partucular ESXi host Service "SSH"

Get-VMHost yourhost.yourdomain.com | Foreach {  Start-VMHostService -HostService ($_ | Get-VMHostService | Where { $_.Key -eq "TSM-SSH"}) -confirm:$false}

* Restarts the specified host after user confirmation. The cmdlet returns without waiting for the task to complete. 

Get-VM yourhostname | Restart-VMGuest

or

Restart-VMHost yourhostIP -RunAsync -Confirm

PowerCLI Core Restart Commands

http://powercli-core.readthedocs.io/en/latest/cmd_restart.html

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
jokland
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. Thanks at all.

Finally this last night I did a hard reset the two hosts and now all is working fine.

I am trying to figure out the cause of this problem, and I have not clear that the case was the SAN switch. I cheched it and aparently that switch is correct.

I find this article:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21456...

That is exactly the same behaviour of my hosts, but the article is for the version 6 of esxi. I actually have the 6.5. Somebody knows if this problem may affect the 6.5?

The same problem happend to me last year with esxi6 on the same cluster.

Thank you for advance.

Kinfd regards.

0 Kudos