VMware Cloud Community
SeanEL
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic Agents Cant Communicate with ESX Hosted Hyperic vApp

I'm really new with ESX/Vcenter and so on, but lots of experience in Typical workstation VM's and Hyperic.... so please explain things like you would to a 2 year old Smiley Happy

Simple Set up:

• One ESXi 5.5u1 Host - Hosting vcenter, hyperic vapp (using static IPs), a few random LAMP stacks
  • Network-wise its a single nic on the ESX host hooked up directly to a simple 5 port gigabit switch and a router to the outside world

I can (for example) from my desktop PC access all of the vm's SSH shell, web interfaces with my browser and so on.

But I cannot add a hyperic agent to the hyperic server configuration. The agent (running on one of the VM's or a physical machine all on the same 192.168.1.0/24 network) starts and configures correctly, but cannot send stats to server "unable to send stats to server - retries 5 on 2144; Null Pointer exception" or something like that.

I have tried both the windows 64 bit (my desktop) agent and the linux agent (one of the LAMP stack VM's hosted by ESX). I can ping between the hosts, ncat -vz succeeds on the relevant ports... anyone know how this is not working? Smiley Happy

I did create an IP pool but not enabled it (otherwise the Hyperic vApp wont start) and have tested with the IP Pool enabled too.

Is there some sort of internal firewall or something I need to get around?

Is there some vswitch configuration I should do? Its pretty much the default settings created by ESX

Edit: I should probably mention the ports are

Hyperic Server -> Agent 2144

Agent -> Hyperic Server 7080

And I can access the Hyperic web gui on 7080 via browser on my desktop, and via wget from one of the LAMP VM's

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SeanEL
Contributor
Contributor

So I tested some more... and it seems outbound traffic from the hyperic server vm (one of two vms in the vapp) is the problem.

First I check on the agent machine that its listening:

netstat -an | grep 2144

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2144            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

Then i try a connect from the hyperic server vm:

ncat -v 192.168.1.76 2144

Ncat: Version 5.21 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )

Ncat: Connection timed out.

I don't get it, and maybe this is the wrong forum.... but why can the vapp not communicate with other hosts on the same network? Is it related to the IP Pool even though its not enabled?

0 Kudos
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

please share your network configuration ,seems something wrong on network configuration.

0 Kudos
SeanEL
Contributor
Contributor

Its really straight forward home whitebox set up

ESX host connected to via vswitch to a physical switch, which in turn is attached to the router.

ESX 192.168.1.201

Vcenter 192.168.1.200 (VM)

Hyperic VM's on 192.168.1.220 and 221

Other hosts on the 192.168.1.x range

Subnet 255.255.255.0 for all and gateway/DNS all set to the router IP 192.168.1.1

0 Kudos