DeanVIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hyper-V 2 VMware keep mac address

Hi,

At this moment I'm busy to migrate servers from Hyper-V to a VMware cluster, this is no problem with the vCenter standalone software, untill now 40 succesfull migrations.

For the next migrations, License servers, I need to keep the MAC Address intact on the Virtual Server, after 2 failed clone /migrations and googling this I did get little bit confused on all the different kind of tools and software available.

Are there any tools / software to clone Virtual machines and keep the MAC Address the same.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dennis,

Please use VMware converter tool to convert from Hyper V to VMware and before powered on VM please download .vmx file for particular VM and use a text editor change this mac address here "ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:00:00:00:00:00" save and upload the same and powered on.

It may help you..

Regards,

Ganesh GV

0 Kudos
DeanVIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ganeshgv,

Already tried that but some license application / software stopped working after the migration of the server.

Regards,

Dennis

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Depending on the ESXi version you are using, try modifying the VM's configuration file (while VM is powered off).

ethernet0.addressType = "static"

ethernet0.checkMACAddress = "false"

ethernet0.address = "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" <- enter original MAC address

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" <- remove this entry if it exists

After editing the configuration file you need to reload the VM (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1026043)

André

0 Kudos
DeanVIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hello a.p.

Sorry for the late reply on your latest helpfull information, since i'm working with production servers I have to plan the migration and that will take some time. 🙂

At this moment I'm still not successful, but after some network test  i'm almost sure it have something to do with the static MAC ADDRESS that vcenter 6.0 not recognize.

I'ts not in the standard range.

Is there an option on the servers, advanced settings, to add / allow single MAC ADDRESSES or adding another range to it.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

AFAIK using MAC addresses other than those assigned to the specific VMware product you are using, require to manually edit each VM's configuration file manually. There's no option that I'm aware of, which allows to configure additional MAC address ranges.

André

0 Kudos