VMware Cloud Community
sgloeckle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HowTo??? convert from Hyper-V VMs to ESX 4.0

Hi, perhaps posted a million times BUT:

I still haven`t succeeded in converting any Hyper-V VM to ESX 4.

Guests (W2K3, W2K8, W2K8R2)

I`ve tried

- WinImage

- Starwind

- MS VMM

- Vmware coldclone converter

- Vmware online converter

and still: If attached VMDK-File to OS in ESX VM does not boot from VDISK or even knows that there is a filesystem.

What is it I`m doing wrong?

many thanks...

Stefan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

V2V of 2008 R2 from HyperV to VMware is pretty easy - you do not even need VMware Converter ...

read my notes here

http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
37 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

With the Hyper-V VM running, using vmware converter to "P2V" it to the ESX host.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
sgloeckle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi J1mbo,

thx, but how exactly?

online or offline, which version of converter, cause I belive to have tryied this already

Stefan

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have both your Hyper-V and ESX hosts running. Start the VM you want to convert and let it boot.

Next install vmware converter standalone edition version 4 to another PC.

Select the Hyper-V VM as the source, enter the credentials.

Select vmware infrastructure as the destination, enter ESX server's IP and username/password.

Then start the process. Once it's done shutdown the VM running on Hyper-V and start it on ESX.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

to convert successfuly from a hyper-v vm to a vmware esx 4.0 the easy way is install the vmware converter 4.0 in a third windows machine. Then configure the migration task configuring the source as a power on machine (the source IP and user/password with administration rights in that system) and the destination as Virtual Infraestructure virtual machine. It should work without any problem.

Anyway, i would recommend you using the best practices in vmware conventer to eliminate o minimize the possible migration issues.

Hope this helps you Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,
Pablo

Please consider awarding

any helpful answer. Thanks!! -

Por favor considera premiar

las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
sgloeckle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

just tried again with W2K8R2: could'nt install the agent remotely. When installed locally and started converting locally I got this error:

FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code:

2147754754 (0x80042302).

stefan

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ALL of those products you mentioned most likely are converting them as VM Ware 1.x/2.x version vmdk. ESX is slightly different, and you can't bring them up directly on ESX. So you have to FIRST create them as stand alone VM's, point VM Converter at them THEN use VM Converter to transfer / convert to ESX.

OR you can boot the images on Hyper-V and point VM converter to their individual IP address, and treat them as if they were physical machines.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Convert the *.vhd as a vmdk using Winimage.

Install VM Ware server (if not already).

Create a NEW VM Server VM (standalone) and use existing drive created with Winmage.

Doesn't matter the parameters or the name, you can change it later.

Then use VM Converter to convert that VM Server image to ESX. The problem is the file is not compatible with ESX. I have used this on Winimage, never had a problem. Its 2 steps, but at least it works.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

convert W2K8R2 maybe doesn't work because isn't officially supported by vmware converter 4.01.

But converting W2K8 and W2K3 should work. Try it.

If this 2 conversions work (i personally prefer install converter in a third machine, not in the source machine to convert) then we will think how V2V the W2K8R2 system Smiley Wink

Regards/Saludos,
Pablo

Please consider awarding

any helpful answer. Thanks!! -

Por favor considera premiar

las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

V2V of 2008 R2 from HyperV to VMware is pretty easy - you do not even need VMware Converter ...

read my notes here

http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi continuum,

you're always making excellent annotations. Thank you very much! (again) Smiley Happy

And i remember what you told me some time ago, people that uses self-made P2V converter CD's plays in a higher league Smiley Wink

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for Hyper V to VMware you do not need to create a coldclone CD yourself.

You only need Starwind V2V Converter plus a Windows 7 rescue CD for a Coldclone - or

Sysinternals Disk2VHD plus Starwind V2V converter plus a Windows 7 rescue CD for a Hotclone

0 Kudos
sgloeckle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi continuum,

I've already tried the method Starwind V2V + Windows 7 rescue disk (which does not work, but W2K8R2 does) and done the sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html patching.

I still get a bluescreen!

I'll try the VM-Server method next.

many thanks,

Stefan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Stefan

can you explain what you have done exactly ?

Ulli

0 Kudos
VMXTROOPER
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The solution that I use is very easy and doesn't require the convoluted methods. On the server that you want to convert install Vmware Convereter 3.0.3 build-89816. The 4.0 version causes some issues but its a good converter too. You are going to treat your Hyper-V machine as Physical Machine for the conversion process. Go through the 4 Steps in the conversion wizard. Ensure you turn off any HP & SQL services before launching the VM Convereter. Ensure your Firewall is not interuppting port 902 bewteen the Hyper-V & ESX Host i.e If a Firewall is involved -IF NOT Disregard!!).

The conversion *doesn't need* a 3rd party machine or any of the other 3rd party software converters. This is a straightforward process and I haven't had any issues except some services that may need to be shut off 1st. Please let me know if this works.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I assume you talk about 2003 VMs only

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not too sure reading this if the original issue is resolved or not, however I just remembered something I posted a while back using converter for Windows 7 hosts, here.

"using converter build 161434 with Windows 7 V2V needs the source VM OS type to be Vista (otherwise it fails "unable to obtain hardware information") and any USB controllers removed (otherwise the transfer fails "operation not supported")."

0 Kudos
sgloeckle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @ll,

thanks for you offered help!!!

I at least managed to migrate my W2K8R2 machines as follows:

- WinImage: VHD -> VMDK (target IDE)

- Vmware Server 2.0.2: created new machine and attached VMDK as IDE device

- Vmware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1: converted offline VM to ESX (target IDE)

- vSphere 4 Server: set correct OS type, started and installed VM-Tools

Next Step I'm going to try: Replace the IDE virtual disk with a SCSI virtual disk

cheers, Stefan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

read the link I posted - you can directly go to SCSI if that is what you want

0 Kudos
sgloeckle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi continuum,

I've tried several times but didn't work properly. Never succeeded in migrating to SCSI target when done all the listed steps.

no idea why

0 Kudos