VMware Cloud Community
Lokidiabel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HowTo Enable AHCI as Default

Hallo all,

i have a Via Mainboard, that will only me recognized trouth the AHCI Driver in VMWare.

How can i configure ESXi 5.0 to autoload this driver @ Boot ?

Cant find that Option. I alrdy getting mad !

Greetings

Lukas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Warrie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I am kind a new to Esxi and 5 is my first install.

I have the same controller as you and managed it to be enabled on boot with this tut:

http://1307723433353.blogspot.com/2011/10/vmware-esxi-5.html

U don't have to learn polish for it as it's pretty easy to implement.

Next for me will be the dual intel nic i got wich was supported in 4.1 but not in 5 Smiley Sad

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Lokidiabel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it that difficult ?

No one could answer me that ?

Greetings

Lukas

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Lokidiabel wrote:

Is it that difficult ?

No one could answer me that ?

Not difficult (it's not supported), but what benefit is AHCI going to give you?  NOTHING.  Use IDE, it will work fine.  If your controller is supported by VM Ware it should work, if not, there are no "custom" drives for white box machines (non-vendor).

0 Kudos
Lokidiabel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my special configuration it will give me the benefit that i can see my disks, while in IDE or Raid mode i cant !

Tryied booth modi before.

So i need to load ahci module at System start or it will not work !

Normaly i had to use

esxcfg-modules -e ahci.

Or i would build a Scribt to do that. On Esx 4.0 (the last good one) no Problem but on this ESXi 5.0 its a real problem.

2 Dayes installed and i want allready my Esx 4.0 with a real console back...

So, after some trolling, some one know how to fix that he loads ahci driver @ boot ?

Greetings

Lukas

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the driver can be loaded manually, then the problem lies in the driver mapping file.  In this case that's /etc/vmware/driver.map.d/ahci.map.

One solution is to create you own mapping file.  You can use this as a guide - http://vm-help.com/esx40i/customize_oem_tgz.php.

1)  Determine the entry to add to the mapping file.

2) Create your own tgz file with the updated mapping file.

3) Copy that file to /bootbank and /altbootbank.

4) Edit boot.cfg and add --- <yourfile>.tgz to the modules list.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Lokidiabel wrote:

In my special configuration it will give me the benefit that i can see my disks, while in IDE or Raid mode i cant !

Tryied booth modi before.

So i need to load ahci module at System start or it will not work !

Normaly i had to use

esxcfg-modules -e ahci.

Or i would build a Scribt to do that. On Esx 4.0 (the last good one) no Problem but on this ESXi 5.0 shit its a real problem.

2 Dayes installed and i want allready my Esx 4.0 with a real console back...

So, after some trolling, some one know how to fix that he loads ahci driver @ boot ?

First of all if ESX is such a problem for you, stop using it. (RE: the going back to ESX 4.0)

Secondly if you are using 4.0 with NO issues, what benefit is going with ESXi 5 going to bring you, certainly NOT performance since you are using IDE anyway.  Just use ESX 4 since it is working..

Third, ESXi 5 *JUST* came out!  you expect miracles on the first day?  BOY are YOU using the wrong product...  NO product is going to be perfect for EVERYONE, maybe you can be a TAD bit more patient or find some other outlet since you are "already getting mad".. Computers are supposed to be fun not frustrating.. if you have anger issues, taking it out on VM Ware on the computer will not help you.. perhaps knitting or some other TV outlet can help you?!?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@ RParker

what is going on here ?
If you have any reasons to treat our new visitors in such an unfriendly way maybe knitting or some other TV outlet can help you to relax again ?!?

Ulli

0 Kudos
Warrie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have the same controller as you and managed it to be enabled on boot with this tut:

Next for me will be the dual intel nic i got wich was supported in 4.1 but not in 5 Smiley Sad

Good luck.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ulli Hankeln wrote:

@ RParker

what is going on here ?
If you have any reasons to treat our new visitors in such an unfriendly way maybe knitting or some other TV outlet can help you to relax again ?!?

Ulli

Well if you want to champion new users, start your own blog.. otherwise I am entitled to my opinion, you don't like it, write your congressman (or whatever they have in Europe).  It wasn't unfriendly, it seems equally as asinine for someone to complain about features or lack thereof for something that was JUST released.  If I came across as sarcastic or blunt, GOOD!  I have your attention..

I don't need TV, maybe you need to go back and finish your beer, from your pic that seems like something you spend a LOT of time doing..  Maybe you can find a creative outlet from your friends, don't tell me how to "relax"..

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Warrie wrote:

Hi there,

Good luck.

No need to learn a new language... Google Translate works fine for that page...A few words are missing, but it comes across fine.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so now that we had our daily ratio of humour lets stop it before it gets boring

thread closed

0 Kudos