VMware Cloud Community
dmini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to upgrade hardware on a VCenter server

In lab environment, two hosts, Running VCenter server, not HA, shared storage etc. I've managed to upgrade the hosts, using VUM, but its reporting errors when it tries to upgrade the VCenter guest server hardware.. I can see it would have an issue, using VCenter to upgrade hardware on itself, when it needs to restart the server to install. The question is, how do I get round that? I've tried looking for solutions, not found anything as yet. Do hope that makes sense.

Latest versions of everything, as it is all a lab running on eval licences. Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need to power off the vCenter VM, connect to the ESXi host directly via vSphere client and right click on the vCenter VM > Upgrade Virtual Hardware.

Make sure you are running the latest VMware Tools before you do that.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need to power off the vCenter VM, connect to the ESXi host directly via vSphere client and right click on the vCenter VM > Upgrade Virtual Hardware.

Make sure you are running the latest VMware Tools before you do that.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Connect directly to the host that is running the vCenter instances, and shut down vCenter then upgrade it directly from the host.  Power on the vCenter guest and you are good to go,

Remember to access the host instance you will need Root or Root authorized Credentials

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
dmini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you both - now I feel really stupid!. I kept looking to see if I could find something - and missed it! And it was so obvious. Apologies I cant mark you both as correct

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't feel stupid, sometimes you just can't see wood because of the trees.  it is what we are here for Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410