VMware Cloud Community
tim-ryan-jws
Contributor
Contributor

How to upgrade ESXi host with expired VIB certificate?

We have an older v6.5 ESXi host that needs to be updated. Unfortunately, it's on an older build whose VIB Certificate is now expired. KB article 76555 details the issue, but doesn't list any solutions. The workaround merely says to upgrade before the cert expires, which is of course no longer possible. I haven't attempted the update yet, but I'm expecting it to fail based on what the KB article is saying.

Is there a way to upgrade the ESXi build on this host without fiddling with the system clock?

Impact on ESXi upgrade due to expired ESXi VIB Certificate (76555) (vmware.com)

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
3 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
From which version 6.5 Build ? you are trying to upgrade to which Build version.

You must validate that your server and/or hardware is compatible with the version you are upgrading to

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
tim-ryan-jws
Contributor
Contributor

We are on VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, build 6765664. Our hardware isn't compatible with v6.7 or above, so we're trying to update to the latest v6.5 U3 build.

Tim

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
So you are on ESXi650-201710001 (6765664), I recommend you to upgrade to Update 3 (build 13932383) first.
The latest level is ESXi650-202102001 (Build 17477841)
link:

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/patch#search

you need a user and password, you can register for free

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos