VMware Cloud Community
SHubbard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to uninstall patches - ESXi embedded 4.0

We have a couple of new hosts that were patched via Update Manager dynamic baseline, and now they are 'ahead' of the other hosts in the cluster (and not playing nicely).  We are planning a 4.1 upgrade and don't want to patch the rest of the (existing, stable) hosts to the dynamic baseline level.  I have now created a fixed baseline containing the patches on the existing hosts and wish to uninstall the dynamic baseline patches & repatch to the fixed baseline.

My question is, how do I uninstall individual patches?  The vihostupdate command will remove extensions but not ESXi patches  I've been googling for hours and have come up empty.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

did you Press Shift+r when the screen displays Loading VMware Hypervisor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SHubbard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply, Troy.

I tried the method described in your link, but pressing Shift+r just halted the system... no prompt to accept changes or anything.  I had to kick it over again to bring it back to life.  The link is tagged for ESXi 4.0 installable, so I guess embedded doesn't actually keep a previous config.  

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

did you Press Shift+r when the screen displays Loading VMware Hypervisor

0 Kudos
SHubbard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I hit it as soon as the build number appeared on the screen.  Components were still loading at that point.

0 Kudos
SHubbard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AHA!

So, ESXi Embedded = hit Shift + r as soon as the Loading VMware Hypervisor screen appears.. don't wait for the Build Number screen!

Thank you Troy, full points! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos