VMware Cloud Community
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

How to test DRS ?

Hello

Can I donwload some program to increase CPU or RAM loading to test DRS ?

or you have another way to test it ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
14 Replies
rick-vanover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PassMark Burn-In Test is a good program to light up CPU and RAM. The eval will run continuously for 15 minutes!

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the ever famous cpubusy.vbs script. copy the below and name it cpubusy.vbs and run int.

Dim goal

Dim before

Dim x

Dim y

Dim i

goal = 2181818

Do While True

before = Timer

For i = 0 to goal

x = 0.000001

y = sin(x)

y = y + 0.00001

Next

y = y + 0.01

Loop

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Thank for your script, I selected Keep Virtual machine Together on Rule for two VMs (A and B), when I run this script on A VM that can be migrated, and then run this script on B VM that cannot be migrated... And then I selected Separate Virtual Machine, the B VM can be migrated .

I have some questions:

1. If A VM CPU resource to be normal, can it go back to original host? if so, how can I know ?

2.If A VM CPU resource suddenly increased, will it migrate to another host ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

1) based on http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-Whats-New-vSphere41-HA.pdf on Required VM–Host Affinity

2) it will vmotion other VMs out of the host

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

1. Sorry, I don't understand what's Affinity, can you simple explain it ?

2. I mean after the A VM migrated to another host and then suddenly increase CPU resource, is it will vmotion other VMs out of the host?

Thanks !!

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

1) http://blog.koenvermoesen.be/2010/08/20/drs-host-affinity-rules/

2) yes

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

1. If set group manager, is it mean the auto vmotion back to original host ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Yes in group of hosts that you defined in the policy.

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I just followed your website to setup DRS rule for two hosts and 3 VMs.

Host01 has A, C VMs

Host02 has B VM

In this rule set Cluster Vm Group = A, B, C / Cluster Host Group = host01, host02

Selected "Must run on hosts in group"

When I run CPU script on C VM, it didn't vmotion to host02, why?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

You need more VMs to make the hosts to be busy before DRS is being triggered. What's the overall resource (cpu and memory) utilization for the hosts?

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Two hosts is same hardware, each host has 16GB ram and 2 quad core CPU

Is DRS count host resoruce, not resource pool ? if so, how can up so many 2 quad core CPU resources?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

why not just clone as many as possible before bring the host down to it knees. and then you can see DRS in action.

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

I tried your method for HA, it work !

Is HA has fialback feature ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

we're talking about DRS, not sure how HA come into the picture 😃 just let the DRS to be automatic and let vcenter do the job. any particular concern you need to address?

0 Kudos