VMware Cloud Community
DavePneuman
Contributor
Contributor

How to tell Rev. level of AMD processors

I've run the CPU tool on my Sun V40Z and that returns ' no 64 bit support ' so I assume that means I do not have Rev E Processors.

What I have now are Opteron 848, stepping a ( According to Vmware Tool )

( There is a discrepancy here as the Bios and Sun Doc. both report Stepping = CG )

Since I work for Sun / Oracle, I can order the following internally ;

Opteron 850, 852, 854 or 856 which are listed as stepping = E4

My question is : How do I know which processor to order that will be Rev

E ? Does Stepping = Rev ? Is Stepping E4 = Rev E ?

I even looked on the chip itself and there is no Rev. printed.

I also talked to our X64 Support Reps and they don't know what I'm talking about when I mention Rev. E

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately, the term 'stepping' is overloaded. The CPU reports family, model and stepping, where each is a numeric value. The 'a' reported by the VMware tool is hexadecimal, so it's just stepping 10. The 'stepping' reported in vendor literature is usually a combination of letters and numbers, where the first letter indicates the major revision level and the rest indicates the minor revision level. Unfortunately, there is no clear mapping between the family, model and stepping reported by the CPU and the revision levels used by the vendor in describing the chip.

In short, stepping CG is a revision 'C' chip, and stepping E4 is a revision 'E' chip. As long as you get a 90nm chip, you should be fine.

0 Kudos
yuhong
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, your best bet is to refer to Intel's Specification Updates and AMD's Revision Guides, which has the nesserary information.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the community.

You can try to use "CPU Identification Utility" from VMware download site, in order to see you CPU specs.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos