VMware Cloud Community
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How to take backup for Virtual MSCS Clusters

Hi All,

In my environment we have a virtual MSCS servers. Server A and Server B. They have physical scsi adapters and because of which we are unable to take snapshots.

We have Image level backup tool EMC Networker.

Is there a way via which we can take Image Level backup for a Virtual MSCS Servers. Or maybe If I can take Image Level Backup for the C Drive and not for the RDM's connected to it

What are the ways the ways via which we can backup Virtual MSCS Cluster.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately snapshots can only be created for the whole VM, and not for individual disks. So the only option is to run a classic agent based backup in case of MSCS nodes.

André

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I agree Andre however if we make a disk independent we remove it from Snapshot

If we just a Physical RDM we remove it from snapshot

however here as soon as you change the SCSI adapter to Virtual or physical (any SCSI adapter) you loose the snapshot feature

if there a way via which we can this SCSI adapter in a different mode to bypass snapshot too?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not aware of a workaround for this configuration, at least not if you want to run a Cluster-across-boxes.

There's a way to configure MSCS using in-guest iSCSI. However, I never used this, and I have no idea whether this will cause issues with snasphots (e.g. timeouts while creating and deleting snapshots)

André

0 Kudos