VMware Cloud Community
SATadsl
Contributor
Contributor

How to setup a public IP for two machines on the same ESXI !!

Hello 

I really need your help 

I'm trying to simulate a network between two virtual routers one is CSR ( Cisco virtual router ) and the other one is Mikrotik also a virtual router 

They have both Public Ip addresses and they are directly connected but when I'm trying to ping they can ping only though the internet !!

How can I make them ping using directly connected I mean without the need to reach each other through the internet !!

Best Regards  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@SATadsl 

Moderator: Moved to ESXi Discussions - the {code} area where you created this thread is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

What do you mean with they are directly connected? Are they attached to the same portgroup, with the same vlan id, in the same network segment?

0 Kudos
SATadsl
Contributor
Contributor

Yes in the same port group but they are in different subnets ! 

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @SATadsl,

How many interfaces do you have on your routers and how are your portgroups configured? Are your portgroups using VLAN Tagging or are they just in Trunk Mode?

0 Kudos
SATadsl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Lalegre

They are directly connected with PG1 so it means trunk but why I can't connect them I mean different public IPS can't ping each other !! 

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So if your portgroup is configure in Trunk mode, you need to use the VLAN Tagging at the virtual router level and this configuration needs to be the same on both.

I presume that if you only have one vNIC on each router configured, then you are using VLAN interfaces inside the routers as you also said that you have an "Internet interface" which cannot be a vNIC as you only have one connected.

Also these are virtual routers that are placed inside the ESXi which mean that there should be VLAN encapsulating this traffic on your physical switches.

Give us more insight about how your virtual routers are configured and also the ESXis from network perspective.

0 Kudos