VMware Cloud Community
TheBurn
Contributor
Contributor

How to retrieve Alarms throught SNMP ?

Hello,

I'm trying to retreive alarms throught SNMP.

I'm encountering two problems :

1. When I'm going into the alarm menu I want to s-retrieve and configure it as "sending each 5 min",

the alarm just disapear from vCenter and then, nothing.

2. I've configured vCenter to send Traps to a receiver but the receiver doesn't see anything (probably due to the first problem)

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The SNMP agent included with vCenter Server can be used to send traps when alarms are triggered on a vCenter Server. When an SNMP trap notification occurs, only one trap is triggered and sent.To use the vCenter Server SNMP traps, configure the SNMP settings on vCenter Server and configure your management client software to accept the traps from vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
TheBurn
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I know.

But what's my problem is that nothing occurs from vCenter in my Traps receiver (which is working with another Traps sender).

Than, the other point is that vCenter delete the alarm like there were no alarms at all just after trying to configure it.

So, what i've thought was that no traps are sent by vCenter because it's deleting the alarm when trying to configuring it.

Here, I've replace the default settings and got no alarms in my vCenter alarms main menu (but in detailed hardware, all the alarms are still present)

>> It's like vCenter just doesn't see them 😕

EDIT:

I've received notification (I think was the trap receiver which were kind of bad, dunno)

But, just to be sure, to configure sending traps, I need to:

1. Configure receiver in vCenter

2. In the vCenter alarm menu, choose those I want then

>> Configure action (sending notification and repeating it each 5min)

>> Configure trigger as, for hard drive faillure, "host health changed" (?)

3. Configure Receiver

Am I right for the point number 2 ?

!!>>> And the other problem is this "alarm cancel".

Hardware detail of host shows 3 critical alarms but nothing is returned to the alarm menu of the host nor the vCenter 😕

0 Kudos