VMware Cloud Community
adotan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to reserve an instance with 2 core CPU without sharing it?

Hi,

I would like my LINUX vm to have 2 Core CPU but I want to make sure it's not shared around my other instances.

I have 2 CPUs with 4 cores each which gives me a total of 8 cores and 16 logical cores (threads).

I want to install about 20 VMs and I want the CPU power to be shared around my VMs except two servers.

is this possible? if so can someone tell me how? (I tried playing with the CPU resources but I'm not sure what to do there...)

Thanks!!

Dotan.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Under VM EditSettings>Resources>Advanced CPU>Hyperthreaded Core Sharing. There is an option for Mode: Any, Internal and None. When set to Internal, the option would allow the cores NOT to be shared between other VMs. However, you need to make sure that the ESX is properly resourced to avoid bottlenecks when deploying large VMs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

About memory, you can reserve all your VM's memory and other VMs can't access to that (Usually).
But about CPU resource, you can reserve that but It will be shared between VMs.

You can assign more share to your servers. Change CPU share to high for them, physical CPUs will do their tasks with higher priority.

Davoud

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm agree with Davoud, but, you only can take advantage with shares in an contention scenario.

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Under VM EditSettings>Resources>Advanced CPU>Hyperthreaded Core Sharing. There is an option for Mode: Any, Internal and None. When set to Internal, the option would allow the cores NOT to be shared between other VMs. However, you need to make sure that the ESX is properly resourced to avoid bottlenecks when deploying large VMs.

adotan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos