VMware Cloud Community
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to replicate a VM across brach offices

Dear guys,

We need to have VMs which need to be available always when the branch offices infrastructure are down.

I do not want to go too much in details but we have VMs as file servers and i need to have them available in case the branch VMs are down.

My question is : is there any technology that replicates the VM over the WAN ?

SRM is not good for us due to the 129 locations we have.

Any supe dupe product from vmware that replicates the VMs across sites?

Many thanks in advance,

Daniele

0 Kudos
7 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert

Check out Veeam Backup and Replication:

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-backup.html

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
PaulusG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Danielle,

I do not want to go too much in details but we have VMs as file servers

Fileservers actually contain lots of data, so having the data available is more important than a complete VM. There are also other techniques like Microsoft Windows DFS (Distributed File System) and replicating data...

Paul Grevink

Twitter: @PaulGrevink

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Paul Grevink Twitter: @PaulGrevink http://twitter.com/PaulGrevink If you find this information useful, please consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Paul,

Actually i was looking for an alternative of DFS , the problem we have is how to restore DFS servers that are failing in brach locations .

Daniele

0 Kudos
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What about using EMC RecoverPoint or avamar?

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533
0 Kudos
DanieleFiore201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not know the product, is that integrated with any EMC storage ?

0 Kudos
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sure it is. Both is EMC products however Avamar is mainly for remote offices backup with de-duplication at the source. While recoverpoint is replication (Local or remote) with vCenter API integration, plug-ins with Bandwidth reduction and Data compression

Best Regards,

Ezz

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533
0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

What is the bandwidth between the sites, how frequently do you intend to replicate the data and are you saying you need to replicate from all 129 sites to a central site - If this is the scenario then the biggest issue will be the bandwidth at the central site.

EMC Avamar can do deduplication at source so only the changes are replicated once the initial "seeding" of the VM has been performed. See the url

http://www.emc.com/avamar

You have other options - Quest - vReplicator, Veaam - Backup & replication - but the thing you really need to pay attention to is the bandwidth required as all these options will not perform the way you would like if the bandwidth is insufficient.