VMware Cloud Community
isfilho
Contributor
Contributor

How to put the root user as administrator on VMware ESXi 5.0?

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a Dell server with VMware ESXi 5.0.0 installed and my root user is allowed to read-only.

How do I give administrator permission for the root user?

I can log into the server through the VMware vSphere Client with my root user and password, but i can not access ssh with putty or Winscp with the same username and password, giving access denied msg and through the console (shell) gives msg login or password incorrect.

Regards,

Ivo Silva.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Ivo,

root by default has the administrator permissions.May be the SSH is not enabled.try to verify if its enabled.

Once you log in using the vsphere client , go to --  configuration -- software -- security profile -- ssh -- options -- start.

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Root should by default have administrator permissions, like this:

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 18.54.49.png

If you don't have this, then someone has edited this setting.

Are you able to login to the DCUI using keyboard and a monitor hooked up to the system? If so, perhaps you can use the reset system configuration via DCUI. This will reset the root password (blank, meaning no password) but will also reset every other setting on the host. So, you'll need to give it a IP address, register the VM's again and do any other configuration that you've tweaked on this host.

It is possible that lockdown mode is enabled? Does this ring a bell? Is the host connected to vCenter or is it a standalone host?

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

Have you enabled ssh and shell access of esxi ?/

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101791...

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
isfilho
Contributor
Contributor

Avinash Good morning,

My root user is allowed to read-only and can not switch to administrator. My ssh is enabled, I can get to the root user through the VMware vSphere Client, even more with ssh enabled, I can not access with the putty or winscp gives the access denied message.

Regards,

Ivo Silva.

0 Kudos
isfilho
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning,

My ssh and shell are enabled.

Regards,

Ivo Silva.

0 Kudos
isfilho
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning,

Working in the company a few months ago and was already root with read-only permission.

The vpxuser users and DCUI have administrator permission, most do not know the password. Could you tell me the default password of these users?

Look attached file.

Regards,

Ivo Silva.

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

The vpxuser and dcui are default (internal) accounts. Has the host been connected to vCenter in the past?

Perhaps it is wise to reinstall the host, preserving VMFS datastores. You can then register the VM's again.

0 Kudos