VMware Cloud Community
Ramzah
Contributor
Contributor

How to open Direct Console User Interface in ESXI server

I have an ESXI hypervisor installed on a server with centOS installed as a guest operating system and have it's terminal opened. I want to open Direct Console User Interface (that black and yellow configuration menu) as shown below. I have tried Alt+F2 but DCUI does not open

aa.PNG

Tags (2)
10 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Pressing Alt + F2 should get you back to the DCUI Console.

Try: Fn + Alt + F2

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

You need to enable the ESXi Shell. Log into that screen using F2, look under "Troubleshooting Options" and ensure the shell is enabled.

Then you switch to the shell with "Alt-F1".

"Alt-F2" takes you back to the yellow/black screen you're already looking at.

0 Kudos
Ramzah
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I want to open that black/yellow screen. The picture shown is what I want to open (I don't have it opened already).

0 Kudos
Ramzah
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried it. Doesn't work. I tried to reboot the system because the DCUI appears usually on reboot, but it did not.  It just showed centOS terminal right away. Have I disabled it maybe some how? What should I do?

0 Kudos
nileshm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you boot the server it should directly take you to the black and yellow screen that is shown in the picture. What do you currently see on your screen?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ramzah
Contributor
Contributor

It shows the centOS console that's installed right away.

0 Kudos
nileshm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't understand from where centOS is coming into picture?

Where is ESXi installed on? On a physical server/machine or is it a VM? If its VM are you using vmware workstation/player? Please elaborate your question. Send picture what you see in your screen currently.

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Make your question clear first. If you're really on ESXi, Alt+F2 will switch to DCUI.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you want to configure the host via DCUI, press "F2" without any modifier key.

André

AmeenMunaff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alternatively...

If your ESXi is already configured, enable ssh from vsphere client and then putty to the ESXi server and type "dcui"

If you are having problem in logging in directly, even after trying all the suggestions provided by the experts here, try to change your keyboard.. or at least confirm the key strokes are yielding right inputs to the OS.

Regards, Ameen Munaf
0 Kudos