VMware Cloud Community
rekhajain1705
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to move the VMs across clusters with RDMs set in Physical Mode.

Hi,

I need advice on how to move the SQL server with RDMs in Physical mode to another ESXi 4.0 Host in the same cluster.

To tell more abt my environment, its has 5, 8 node clusters(ESXi Hosts). There is a SQL cluster with MSCS running. The Storage is Netapp. Network is Cisco Nexus 1000 DvSwitch. The primary SQL server has more than 10 RDMs in Physical compatibility mode and the secondary SQL Server is poining to these RDMs. The 2 servers are on 2 different ESX hosts in the same cluster. HA/DRS is disabled for these servers.

We are planning to upgrade the certificates on the ESXi 4.0 U1 hosts, where I understand that the host should be rebooted. In such a case, i need to move the SQL Servers to another host. As per my understanding, (both the primary and secondary would be shut down)

1. I need to power down the primary SQL Server

2. make a note of the SCSI Device Nodes and the path of the RDMs and

3. then remove the RDMs, move it to another host in the same cluster

Once its moved, I need to remap the RDMs and bring up the server.

Please advice if there is anything which I am missing here. Also please advice if there is a better way of doing this migration. There is a Heartbeat Nic configured for these 2 servers.

Thanks and looking forward to receive response.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

The steps mentioned by you seems to be good. I only have one doubt that if your both the SQL servers are present on the ESX servers which are part of the same cluster and RDM's are visible to the ESX host of that cluster, then why would you require to unmap and shutdown the SQL servers.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
rekhajain1705
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The RDMs are only visible to the 2 ESX hosts where the primary and Secondary servers reside. Other hosts in the same cluster dont see this. This configuration is done in Netapp, where an Igroup is created and these 2 ESXi hosts are part of that group.

0 Kudos
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If this is the case, then you can simply vmotion the secondary SQL server on the ESX host on which primary SQL server is running and evacuate all the VM's from that ESX server and upgrade the certificate on that ESX host and follow the same for the other ESX host also.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
rekhajain1705
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope. That doesnot help.

I cannot move the VMs around. They have RDMs in Physical Compatibility mode. Any more advice anyone?

PFA the error I get when I try to move. Logically, this does not work when SCSI Controller is in Bus Sharing mode.

0 Kudos