VMware Cloud Community
XTREM1337
Contributor
Contributor

How to move my vCenter to an another LUN?

We can change, move, migrate, clone a VM without any problems.

My question is, how I could ''migrate'' my vCenter to an another LUN?

Does I need to shutdown my vCenter, use a PC with a Converter and Migrate my vCenter VM to a new LUN?

Or If I right click on my vCenter and I make a Clone to the new LUN, does is going to work?

I heard a lot of horror story when we trying to migrate the vCenter..

I have a vCenter server 4.1.0

thank

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

to move the vCenter VM to another LUN, you can use Storage vMotion.  Assuming your source ESX(i) Host can see the destiation LUN, you just need to migrate--change datastore.

0 Kudos
XTREM1337
Contributor
Contributor

for Storage vMotion with a online VM or watever, we need a licence, if we dont have the licence, we should tournoff the vm(vcenter)...So I can't do anything ...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you are not licensed for Storage vMotion, then your best bet is to power down the vCenter VM and use VMware Converter.

0 Kudos
XTREM1337
Contributor
Contributor

I did a Clone of my vCenter, to a new LUN. When I powered on the Cloned one, everything work fine...without any issue...I thought that I might have a issue with the new LUN ID in the vmdk configuration...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

How did you clone you vCenter VM if it was powered off? Or did you do an online clone?  I would have done it with Converter, while the guest is powered off.  This way you avoid possible vCenter DB corruption.

Glad you got it working though!

0 Kudos
XTREM1337
Contributor
Contributor

I did my clone with my powered on vCenter, as you know, we cant do anything with a turned off vCenter Smiley Happy

Is why I was asking, how I could change my vCenter from LUN1 to LUN2.

The clone work very well, but I still dont know why is working fine because he still has the old LUN config in his vmdk....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I understand what you did, but I just questioned why you decided to do it the way you did.

But, like I said, glad you figured it out.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Cloning your host is not really the solution, as you'll be creating a new VM.

You ESX will continue to operate without a vCenter in place, so all that you need to do is move the vmdks to another host and re-import.

Sure - storage migrate is an easy option  . . . if you

a) Have a vCenter

b) Are presenting both sets of storage to an ESX host

and/or c)  are licensed to the correct level.

My prefered solution . . Veeam's FastSCP.

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp/download.html

Download . . connect to both ESX hosts . . and copy / move away like  you're a Windows GUI user.

Simply use the datastore browser after this an right click the .vmx file you have moved and select 'import'

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos