VMware Cloud Community
CraigS1961
Contributor
Contributor

How to mount a datastore that is missing on all host in the cluster.

Hi,

I am hoping that some one can help me with getting back a missing data store. We have 3 esxi 4.1 host in a cluster attached to a SAN. Yesterday morning an unknown event caused and error on a datastore that them became inaccessible. This datastore contained the vm files for 4 VMs (1 is the Exchange server) these VMs are now listed as inaccessible. I can see the LUN but cannot get it connect to the host with out reformatting.  Can anyone direct me on how to reconnect this datastore and hopefully restore the VMs. Any help would be appreciated as this environment is a health clinic and the loss of these VMs are causing many problems. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hard to say without knowing what happened. Anyway, I'd start checking whether the LUN still shows a datastore/partition with type "fb" (VMFS). Maybe another OS (e.g. Windows) had access to the LUN and changed the partition type to "07" (NTFS)!? To check this, run fdisk -lu from one of the hosts' command line.

If you are unsure, I'd strongly recommend that you consider opening a support case with VMware!

André

CraigS1961
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the info. We tried to get support to assist but they no longer support 4.1 as it is end-of-life.

0 Kudos
Srinivasu13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Try below link will help you to re-add LUNs signatures.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/436415

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, Srini
0 Kudos