VMware Cloud Community
conna07
Contributor
Contributor

How to modify the esx.conf file on a second hard drive (not the boot disk)

Hello all,

Hopefully you guys can help me.  I was messing around with the esx.conf file (/etc/vmware/esx.conf) on my lab (small PC) running ESXi 6.5 and now Hypervisor does not boot at all. I know exactly which line I have to revert back to original. My lab PC is a single SSD hard drive, nothing fancy.

Luckily, I have an external hard drive with ESXi 6.5 (configured and operational) and I'm able to boot from that external hard drive and use the CLI.  How can I access the SSD hard drive, navigate to the esx.conf (of the SSD HD) and vi the file that I changed earlier?  I know how to use vi, question is how do I get to that esx.conf file that is corrupted?

Does that make sense?  I really don't want to blow the entire lab ESXi away and start again; it took me sometime to install and get all the VMs configured correctly.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Booting from the external drive should mount the the local drive allowing you to access them under /dev/disks/.

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Are you booting in Linux? You can use "fdisk" to list SSD disk's partitions and then mount them using the "mount" command.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos