VMware Cloud Community
machiasiaweb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to migrate Vcenter from ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5?

Hello,

I have problem when planning to migrate Vcenter which now located at ESXi 6.0 server to ESXi 6.5 server.

As I experience when migrate others VM, it require to turn off first, so how can I do migrate for VCenter if require to turn off?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi machiasiaweb,

I need some clarification on this, Is that Esxi 6.0 & Esxi 6.5 both environments running under same vcenter server(Which you are going to be migrate).

Regards,

Ganesh GV

0 Kudos
machiasiaweb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Ganesh,

They are running under same vcenter server.  Where the vcenter server now located the ESXi 6.0 node.

Thanks1

0 Kudos
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi machiasiaweb,

Thanks for your info, You can able to migrate vcenter even its in powered on. Please find the below steps.

*     Both host environments need to have shared storage(Map the existing vcenter LUN to Esxi 6.5 node).

*     I hope this two different version nodes configured with two different clusters.

*     Both cluster hardware families are same then we can start hot migration(Change Both Host And Datastore)

*     If both of the hardware families not same then you should enable the cluster level VMware EVC Mode.

Migration Procedure(Web Client):

1. Right-click the virtual machine and select Migrate.
  2. To locate a virtual machine, select a datacenter, folder, cluster, resource pool, host, or vApp.
  3. Click the Related Objects tab and click Virtual Machines.
  4. Select Change both host and datastore and click Next.
  5. Select the destination resource for the virtual machine migration.
  6. Select a destination host or cluster for the virtual machine, and click Next(If any compatibility problems appear fix the same)
  7. Select the format for the virtual machine's disks.
  8. Select the datastore location where you want to store the virtual machine files.
  9. Review the information on the Review Selections page and click Finish.

Regards,

Ganesh GV

0 Kudos
machiasiaweb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Thanks for information.

However I missing one important point is they are located in different architecture (AMD and Intel).

0 Kudos
machiasiaweb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Finally I following below method to un-register and re-register VM

adding a vm back to inventory

Thanks!

0 Kudos