VMware Cloud Community
xinhongyi
Contributor
Contributor

How to manipulate config files in ESXi 7.0U2

I have noticed that ESXi 7.0U2 introduced the "centralized config management" concept.

This is a great concept but right now it created some impossible situations.

Here is a screenshot from the LSA User Manual, available at this URL:https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/DB15-001161

xinhongyi_0-1627302303096.png

xinhongyi_1-1627302348419.png

It is becoming quite impossible to make such modifications to the config files, as /etc/ is made read only and changes do not persist through reboots.

I read through a few update notes but didn't find a way to permanently modify the "providerTraceLog.properties" file in /etc/cim/lsi.

The closest that I can get is to run the "system wbem provider set" command but then it can only turn on or off things but can't really modify the configurations.

It is getting pretty frustrating as some of these modifications requires reboot to be effective... While a reboot would simply flush the /etc/ directory.

Any ideas on how to break the deadlock?

Update:

I also tried the configstorecli command. But "configstorecli files get" suggests that neither /etc/sfcb.cfg nor /etc/cim/lsi/providerTraceLog.properties is managed by it:

xinhongyi_0-1627302927929.png

Labels (1)
  • i

3 Replies
nmiklebost
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
AlexJoda
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. The LSI Storage Authority did not work for longer without the "provMemOveride: hhrc=100" modification to the sfcb.cfg. This is not possible any more after 7.0 U1. One cannot use a production server without monitoring the drives....

0 Kudos
luieri
Contributor
Contributor

with this guide https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/it-it/000190499/powerpath-ve-sfcbd-terminated-after-powerpath-7-2... i added “provMemOveride: hhrc=100”

so I added in /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh above the "exit 0" statement:

echo "provMemOveride:hhrc=100" >> /etc/sfcb/sfcb.cfg
esxcli system wbem set -e 0
esxcli system wbem set -e 1

0 Kudos