VMware Cloud Community
Massimo1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to make use of an iSCSI LUN bigger than 2 TB?

I have a ESXi servers (4.1 U1) connected to an iSCSI NAS, where 4 LUNS have been defined and presented to this host; all the LUNs are 3 TB in size. ESXi correctly sees the LUNs and acknowledges their 3 TB size.

I know the maximum size for a VMFS datastore is 2 TB, so creating a single datastore for each LUN would be a waste of space; I also know that creating multiple datastores on a single LUN is not a best practice, and it doesn't seem to work either: if there already is a datastore on a LUN, the vSphere Client just doesn't let me create anything else there, it doesn't even list it in the list of available devices for creating datastores.

I know I can use extents to create a datastore bigger than 2 TB, but this only seems to work across multiple LUNs: when I try to increase the size of a datastore using the same LUN where it resides, ESXi tries to actually increase it, so it won't go above 2 TB in size.

My question is: is there any way to combine two extents in the same LUN, so effectively creating a 3 TB datastore made up by 2 1.5 TB extents?

If this is not possible, is it possible to create two datastores in the same iSCSI LUN? I know it's not best practice, but it should at least be possilbe... but looks like it isn't.

If even this is not possible, then... how to make use of these 3 TB LUNs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You cannot carve up the LUN and then recombine it.

The way to use these 3TB LUNs is to get rid of them and re-present them as < 2TB luns.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You cannot carve up the LUN and then recombine it.

The way to use these 3TB LUNs is to get rid of them and re-present them as < 2TB luns.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Second the above.

The only way you could feasibly use some of these 3TB LUNs would be to use an OS based iSCSI initiator for a VM's additional drives with LUNs that are specifically set aside for that purpose, i.e. not VMFS.

You'd still need to present the correct sized storage to the hosts for the O/S disks.

Quite a faff if all you're wanting to do is save having to reprovision the storage.

0 Kudos
LeftHandVSA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So of course there is the 2TB (minus 512bytes) limit. There are many other things to consider when sizing LUN's: number of VM's per LUN, number of active snapshots per LUN, general I/O characteristics of the VM's. One really sure way to mess up a vSphere implementation is to poorly plan the storage (and networking).

0 Kudos
kishoreg15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Massimo1980,

It is not possible to divide the 3 TB LUN in to two extents. More technical brief can be obtained here.

Best Regards,

Kishore G.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I pray to all that is holy that they move to SCSI 3 with esx5 and get rid of this limitation.  Obviously its not good to put a 100 VM's on a single vmfs volume, but there are times where a single large vmfs volume (which will esentially hold a single vmdk - aka file server) would be much more beneficial and standard then using an iscsi lun inside a VM...

We can only hope at this point...

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They wont need SCSI3 to do > 2TB extents, they will need to use a the SCSI READ32/WRITE32 commands.

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sounds like your in luck.  Provided the leak was accurate. Smiley Wink

http://virtualization.info/en/news/2011/04/%20more-details-about-vsphere-5-appear-online.html

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Some proper support for SSD vSwap is good to see.  And of course the stupid 2TB limit gone.

0 Kudos