VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

How to maintain datastore availability after upgrading to ESXi 5.1 with new IP and naming convention ?

How can we maintain the access to the presented LUNs and the VMFS datastore after we upgrade the ESX into ESXi with new naming convention and new IP addressing scheme ?

My back end SAN is EMC Clariion and VNX

Thanks in advance.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How are the hosts connected to the storage systems. With FC HBAs for example, there's basically nothing you need to do since the WWNs will remain the same and therefore LUN presentation on the storage system and zoning on the switches doesn't need to be reconfigured.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How are the hosts connected to the storage systems. With FC HBAs for example, there's basically nothing you need to do since the WWNs will remain the same and therefore LUN presentation on the storage system and zoning on the switches doesn't need to be reconfigured.

André

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How do you communicate with the SAN - FC or iSCSI? If FC and it is a typical implementation there should be no impact since the communication is down between WWNs which are hardcoded on the HBA.

If iSCSI and you are not touching the addressing scheme of the iSCSI network like likewise there shoudl no or limited impact - if you are changing the IP scheme of your iSCSI network then yes you will have to plan for some outages potentially -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Cool, many thanks for the assistance Andre, I was under the impression that it may not work because in the LUN presentation step there are multiple server FQDN.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification, it is connected using pure FC cable to the fabric switch so I guess there will be no issues when I'm not changing the HBA card or mocking around with the Brocade fabric switches.

0 Kudos