VMware Cloud Community
OlivierTremolie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to know the VSphere Server thrue ESX ?

Hi all !

I've got an ESX 4 server. I can login in with Putty but the web server is not configured.

The ESX seem to be attached to an VSphere server.

Is it possible, thrue a putty connexion, to know the name or IP adress of the BSphere Server ?

Olivier

Olivier ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I assume when you say vSphere Server, you're really referring to vSphere vCenter as vSphere is just the family name comprised of 4th generation of vCenter and ESX(i) products/etc.

Anywho, yes this is possible, there are probably few ways of doing this (via logs/etc)

Here are two:

1) Using the Service Console of classic ESX

Take a look at:

/etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg

The output will be something like:

<hostIp>A.B.C.D</hostIp> # ESX Service Console IP
<serverIp>E.F.G.H</serverIp> # vCenter IP

2) Using the vSphere APIs on ESX or ESXi

If you know how to use the APIs or Managed Object Browser, there is a property that is ONLY set if the ESX(i) host is being managed by vCenter server defined by managementServerIp http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk400pubs/ReferenceGuide/vim.host.Summary.html

As already mentioned, you can look at the hostd or vpxa logs as well which should also have the discovery address.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Deepeer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is no easy way to find out . You may check logs under /var/log directory to check incomming TCP connections .

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I assume when you say vSphere Server, you're really referring to vSphere vCenter as vSphere is just the family name comprised of 4th generation of vCenter and ESX(i) products/etc.

Anywho, yes this is possible, there are probably few ways of doing this (via logs/etc)

Here are two:

1) Using the Service Console of classic ESX

Take a look at:

/etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg

The output will be something like:

<hostIp>A.B.C.D</hostIp> # ESX Service Console IP
<serverIp>E.F.G.H</serverIp> # vCenter IP

2) Using the vSphere APIs on ESX or ESXi

If you know how to use the APIs or Managed Object Browser, there is a property that is ONLY set if the ESX(i) host is being managed by vCenter server defined by managementServerIp http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk400pubs/ReferenceGuide/vim.host.Summary.html

As already mentioned, you can look at the hostd or vpxa logs as well which should also have the discovery address.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos