VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to investigate Which process is using high memory

Dear team,

on one ESXi host we have 192GB RAM and on that esxi host we have 5 VMs which r powered on and one VM is powered off, IF I check ESXi summary and performance tab it show ESXi host is using almost 140GB of RAM out of 192GB, In performance tab it show current total current memory usage is 73% and to troubleshoot further if I check individual VM memory utilization then total VM memory usage is not more than 50GB then y it's showing 73% I.e. 140GB usage , need ur assistance to check which process is taking high memory , please find the attached ESXTOP batch output file.

db01.jpg

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Consumed Memory is what's allocated to the VM's (memory pages touched by the VM, plus overhead memory), i.e. the "Memory Usage". Active Memory is usually much lower, and calculated by the Hypervisor using a mathematic formula.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What does the Virtual Machines tab show as Consumed Host Memory for each of the VMs? Does this sum up to the 140GB?

André

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes the cosumed memory is 140 G for all VMs but active memory is too less for all VMs

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Consumed Memory is what's allocated to the VM's (memory pages touched by the VM, plus overhead memory), i.e. the "Memory Usage". Active Memory is usually much lower, and calculated by the Hypervisor using a mathematic formula.

André

0 Kudos