VMware Cloud Community
Susanyu
Contributor
Contributor

How to install the 2nd network adapter on VMWare Esxi 4.0 server?

I try to install the 2nd network adapter on VMWare Esxi 4.0 server to connect to different network? what is the step? I cannot find it anywhere? or just plug in PCI express slot and VMWare  Esxi host will find it automaticcally after reboot?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You don't need a 2nd adapter to connect to another network.

Adding a 2nd adapter is the same as adding an additional uplink to a switch.  In order to use it, you have to add that new physical NIC to a vSwitch.

If you already have a vSwitch, then you can create a new vSwitch and add the 2nd adapter.  This is simpler than adding the 2nd adapter to an existing switch and denying NIC access to portgroups.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Susanyu
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I do not understand your answer because I am not hardware and network guy. This VMWare server has to connect 2 seperate network, so I unstander that  I have to add the 2nd new physical NIC to connect to another netwrok into VMWare. I do not have vSwitch.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

The way networking works in ESX, is that physical adapteres in the host are linked to a virtual switch on the ESX host.  That virtual switch is where virtual machines connect their virtual NIC to.  The physical adapters basically connect the virtual switch to a physical switch.

If the physical adapter connects to 1 VLAN, and thus one subnet, the 2nd adapter will need a 2nd virtual switch setup.  You can do this through the configuration tab on the ESX host, under networking.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos